History

The building of St Luke’s Church West Norwood was begun in 1822 and consecrated in 1825. At that time, the surrounding area was almost completely rural: just a few scattered houses, the Horns Tavern (built in 1620 by Royal Charter of King James), an independent chapel (on Chapel Road) and a ‘House of Industry for the Infant Poor’, in the fresh air and green space of Norwood.

The Parish Church of St Luke West Norwood was built to meet the pastoral needs of London’s spreading population, along with three ‘sister churches’: St Matthew Brixton, St Mark Kennington and St John Waterloo Road; all built simultaneously between 1822 and 1825 with money provided by Parliament.

A history of St Luke’s was published in 1974 and a copy is available in the church for anyone who would like to find out more about the building and the parish.

For anyone looking into their family history, records of baptism and marriage as well as other parish records are archived at the London Metropolitan Archives and the Lambeth Archive.